Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Loose Ends

I haven't had any major news recently, just lots of little updates.  Ok, they're not little to me, but I doubt anyone else would get too excited about them.

The health insurance debacle is still yet to be resolved.  The good news is, an insurance carrier HAS to cover my delivery.  The bad news is, the out of pocket costs may be more than I can afford to pay.  Basically, if I go into labor at 11:59 p.m. or earlier on September 28, I am covered by my current, awesome, health insurance plan.  If I go into labor at 12 a.m. on September 29 or later, there is a chance I will be defaulted into a much, much more expensive plan.  Of course, this is all assuming the State does not just sign a senate bill to extend the current plans for another two years, but there is a very, very good chance the governor will follow through with his current plan to desk veto that Bill (he has already announced publicly that he will do this).  If that happens, the House and Senate do not intend to extend the emergency coverage past its current extension.  My due date is October 3.  Induction carries several risks.  Both hospitals in my area refuse to induce prior to 39 weeks without a medically-necessary reason because of those risks, and I am very appreciative of this policy.  I called the State Department of Health and Human Services today, and spoke with a very empathetic employee who passed along my information to "higher ups" who are supposed to be calling me back.  At my next appointment, I also plan to check with my doctor to weigh the risks of inducing at 11:59 p.m. on September 28. 

Jamie and I started our first baby-related class--a breastfeeding class.  I was really excited for this class.  Breastfeeding is important to me because of the multitude of benefits it provides to the baby, and I wanted to be as prepared as possible so I don't run into any issues, which is very common.  Sadly, the class was a giant waste of time.  The first hour was spent listening to the instructor's soapbox about how great breastfeeding is.  All of this info was covered in the first 20 or so pages of So That's What They're For.  And, the instructor made most of her points in the first 10 minutes, and spent the next 50 rambling.  Hello, I signed up for the class!  You're preaching to the choir!  Make with the info already!  I hope the other classes are more informative and less preachy.

Speaking of food, I'm currently looking for easy-to-freeze recipes to make things easier after the birth.  I came across this awesome blog, and I can't wait to try some of these recipes out: http://karainthekitchen.com/.

I also bought some gifts for my mom and Jamie's mom, and I'm putting together gift baskets for our shower hostesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment