Monday, June 27, 2011
Hey, a baby's gotta eat!
I had no idea the topic of feeding a baby could be so controversial. I mean sure, I knew even before getting pregnant that breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding was a highly debated topic. But I had no idea it could create so many problems, to the point where trying to feed your baby could result in nationwide attention, as in this article: Moms Hold Breastfeeding Sit-In. I also didn't know some women argue against pumping, and encourage nursing EVERY TIME a child has to eat. Really, times have changed, and these viewpoints, both on opposite ends of the spectrum (that breastfeeding should only occur in private, and that babies should be nursed every single time) place some very weighty expectations on mothers that I know I, for one, cannot live up to. That being said, I am astounded by the fact that breast milk is basically liquid gold and that I can actually produce the healthiest thing my baby can consume (btw, I give Neil Patrick Harris major kudos for getting breast milk flown in for his baby daughter, and for raising awareness of the benefits of breast milk). I still need to come up with a plan for pumping and storage after I return to work. And once the baby begins to eat solids, I'm excited to make homemade baby food! So much to plan for!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment